Leaving alone, managing all your life and taking your own responsibilities and after that what to do when you get an annoying roommate? You meet lots of people who are just opposite of you, don’t understand what you want and then you also have to live with them.
Here are a few tips to handle irritating roommate:
1. Understand your roommate: Try to understand that whether your roommate annoys you intentionally or he is habituated to live the way he lives. If your roommate is habitual to mess around, stay up late nights and disturbs you or take clothes without permission then you need to understand that he comes from a different background and you need to give him/her to change. But if your roommate is doing it intentionally, you need to have a talk with him/her and sort out the things clearly.
2. Don’t try to change your roommate: Your roommate has his own life, belongs to a different life style. There might be some things on which you overreact, try to figure out that what irritates you most. You can’t change others to live like you. You can surely change his bad habits but don’t expect him/her change totally for you.
3. Polite conversation: When you can’t endure with your roommate, you need to talk directly with him/her. But be polite and stay calm. Things can be solved easily if you are positive and talk with a smile. You need to make your roommate feel that his/her habit annoys you and he can do his work in a manner that you can feel like home with him/her. Tell how you feel while he/she mess up around but be gentle. Ask what are your habits which annoy him, if you will change for your roommate, he/she will surely try to be nicer and less irritating.
4. Divide your work: Generally roommates fight on pending work like cleaning utensils or cooking or purchasing utensils. Plan the task and decide what work will be done by whom and keep turns for all work. This will make things easier between both of you.
5. Find other options: There are lots of people who can never change and adjust with others. If your roommate is one of them, then better to find another option to live. If you try all tricks to change your roommate’s bad habits and then also he/she is not ready to change, better to change your living place or roommate. Once you move out you will be having more option to choose from for your living place and roommates.
Latest posts by Ruchi (see all)
- Tips to Teach Good Manners to Your Children - May 28, 2023
- How to Prepare Yourself for a Divorce - May 28, 2023
- Romantic Ideas to Express Your Love - May 28, 2023
Aditya Kane says
I ve never had a roommate so wrong person to appreciate the finer points of this post but I think one more point is sometimes you might have to also think if you are also getting on your roommates nerves like he/she does.
Right Aditya, It’s always from both sides. You need to think what habits of yours are irritating your roomamte.
Havnt got the chance of staying in hostel till now, But on August I wil be doing in Masters staying in Hostel, I think I surely need to come to this article that month 🙂
BEst luck with your studies and roommates :). Bookmark this page.
Satish Gandham says
Make friends, you dont need these tips.
Making friend is best idea, but sometimes people can’t behave nicely even if they are your best friend. You need to tackle things smartly.
Great post Ruchi 🙂
However, all these advice also hold good to deal with an obnoxious colleague as well. Isn’t it? 🙂
.-= TechChunks´s last blog ..TechChunks: Monthly Round Up Jan 2010 =-.
Right Techchunks, Glad you like the post.:)
i agree wid all ur opinions…thx ruchi!
Michael Landon says
i dont know if my room mate will ever change – first i am a girl i just love michael landon – k my room mate has very short hair like shorter than my x-boyfriends my hair is very long. when we get ready for the day she will watch me brush my hair, and it creeps me out. plus she will sit around and eat and she is the loudest smacker i have ever met. another thing is i am use to a lot of girl talk. my room mate doesn’t look at any of the guys at the school because she doesnt want a relationship (she has never had a boyfriend) plus (i go to a christian college) she believes that flirting is s sin, i was brought up in a family where you learn to flirt and all the girls would sit together and have girl talk. she says it is because i grew up with all sisters and she grew up with all brothers but what she wont get is i spent half the time with the women talking about guys half the time with the men talking about cars. plus all my best friends have been guys. i want a new room mate but i dont want my current room mate to think i hate her and her go and try to kick me out of this school because at this school if they hear that you arent nice to other people you can get a 200 dollar fine, or get kicked out. she also likes to change everyones words around to make it sound like they hate her. i also think she lies to make people think she is something she’s not. cause when we first met we were talking about high school and she said she had no friends. i told her that i was friends with everyone in my class and the two classes a head of me plus some kids that were seniors when i was a freshmen, the next day we were talking to other kids on campus about high school and she said how she was friends with her entire class. i dont know what to say or do i dont want to hurt her feelings, but i am becoming stressed because i feel like i am hurting her because anytime she starts talking i will be listening to music,( i always have one headphone in my ear even when there isnt any music playing) she thinks im listening to her because i will make eye contact.
I think you should alk to your teachers and tell them you think she needs special help, tell them you have caught her compulsivly lying to people and that you are worried about her, also this close to your seniors you can’t handle the extra stress of her problems.
They will pick her for the fucked up lier she is, and probably set you up with someone else, just remember to make it look like you only want to move away from her because you don’t have the skills to help 🙂
Rohan Almeida says
Hahahaha Thanks Ruchi…but to be frank…I’m leaving with my brother..and that itself annoys me…Coz he’s such kind of guy who keeps on pointing at silly stuffs…My goodness, imagine my condition when he points at the lizard shit and asks what is this…as if i did that hahaha…Do u have any suggestion for this lol
I can totally understand how you would be feeling Rohan, coz i have lived with someone who is cleanliness freak. Rohan, you have to ignore such things. He is your brother and even arguments such silly things can’t be solved. So just try to ignore.
Rohan Almeida says
Keep in touch…
Ok so your Article does help me in some ways but my rommie problem is worse.. See I live with this guy who is totally like Sheldon if u know what I mean
In his eyes, he can never do wrong, he is perfect and will never change. The most annoying part is when he points out your faults, and make them prominent and embarrassing in front of everyone.
Now I thought that he being an only child would be the reason that he does not know how to adjust or socialize, but I wanna know the solution to this, almost everyone he knows feel the same way as me, and trust me we have tried to put the problem across but he never listens
Its a bit more complicated, I cannot move out considering the expenses and all that shit.
So far I’ve live 6 months with him, and he is a good guy so I don’t wanna move out, but he is really ANNOYING….
Help me !!
Hey Prateek, Its tough to live with someone who thinks he is always right. “Sheldon” needs true “leonard”, anyways I am sure he would be more than 20 yrs old and its tough to change someone easily who is an adult. Since he won’t change at once, but you need to try telling him that when he embrasses you or someone else in public then it hurts, you would need lots of patience and gradually he will change “few” of his habits.
People with over-confidence are hard to deal with. Try to look at positive points and ignore few things. If you dont have any other options, you would need to adjust with his negative points too. Don’t force him to change, rather try to make him realize politely that things which he does irritate others.
Hope things change… Best luck 🙂
Saurabh Potphode says
My Roommate is just a shit. He never washes his towels and it is stinking. I haven’t seen him going for bath ever. The day I joined him I haven’t seen him washing his daily colthes, his bedsheet.
Last moment his bedsheet was like dumped in mud. I cannot bear him more. Guyz help me…….
my roomate is a dum girl,looks horrible,is absent minded,clear exams by mugging up things,lazy, unnecessarily shows her tension for career,never had boyfriend,no guy friends .
and there she is always giving me lectures
love is bullshit
study like this
friends are waste of time
she always want me to be like her..my friends says shez jealous of me.
bt the way she behaves with me is terrible.almost all of her ex roomates had same prblm with her.i cnt fight,its not my way…..so after getting irritated,m here in terrace since 4hrs with my stuff.
help me out…she is getting on my nerves nw.
Hi,so I’ve been living on my own for 3 months now soon to be 4 it is a bedroom basement apartment. My room is decent and my first roommate is really nice and tolerable because she works constantly so I never see her. Sadly I just got 3 new roommates and I can’t stand any of them they are from India and they are total snobs,nosy, and have no respect for my privacy or my property. They think because they are from another contry they can take advantage of me and the other roomate who I actually enjoy being with compared to them. They clutter up the fridge not to mention my side of the fridge, we are supposed to share the fridge but they literally hog the whole thing with their food and keep putting their things on my side of the fridge when their not supposed to,they keep touching my cutlery when I leave it in the sink to soak, and I’m pretty sure they have used it once or twice without my permission and they are constantly knocking on bedroom door.
I really like living here and I do NOT want to move into a new place just because of 3 Indian woman who have no respect for peoples privacy or property.
Any suggestions on what I should do?